Whether you are at home or in the office, accidents happen, right? We all know how incredibly frustrating it is when you accidentally spill something onto the carpet. But thankfully, most cases can be resolved with the right approach and knowledge.
When something spilled on to your carpet, quick and prompt action is required to prevent staining.
Shiny House Cleaning recommend that you always have the following equipment and materials at your disposable in order to best prevent any long lasting effects from spillages to your carpet:
- Clean absorbent cloth or towel.
- Dry Cleaning Solution – e.g White Spirit.
- Detergent Solution.
- Detergent Vinegar Solution – Add one teaspoonful of white (not malt) vinegar to the Detergent Solution.
- Ammonia Solution – One teaspoonful of branded household ammonia to one cup of warm water – this stuff does wonders!
Preparing the area of carpet or upholstery that is to be cleaned is often as important as the cleaning process itself, follow these tips for best practice.
- Always test any solution/detergent on an inconspicuous area of carpet prior to treating a stain.
- Use detergents at recommended dilution ratios and be careful not to over concentrate.
- Scrape up or blot up any excess prior to treatment of the carpet.
- Blot, DO NOT rub or scrub the spillage.
- Do not use inappropriate detergents on carpets such as washing up liquid, wash powders, household bleach or disinfectants.
- Always work from the outside of the stain inward to avoid spreading.
- Always apply the cleaning fluid to the absorbent spotting material and never directly onto the carpet or upholstery.
- Do your best to dry the area quickly.
- Always try to tackle stains as soon as possible for increased chances of success.
- Keep the fabric or carpet as dry as possible.
- Mix a ratio of 1 part white vinegar to every 4 parts of water.
- Pour mixture into a bottle and spray over the affected area.
- Blot dampened area (do not rub) to get rid of any excess moisture.
- Spread white kitchen towel (stacked 5-10 sheets deep) or absorbent cloth over the affected area and apply pressure on top.
- Leave overnight and repeat if necessary
REMEMBER: Do not panic and always try to act quickly, with a careful and methodical approach, most if not all common carpet cleaning stains can be treated and removed bringing your carpets back to looking as good as new!
If you need help and advice regarding having your carpets cleaned, then contact us today for a no obligation quotation, either give us a call on 02085302711 / 07727637456 or use our contact form here.